Friday, January 18, 2008

Tea Time with Jules


My sis, Tiana e-mailed and said it was high time I share some of my favorite recipies. The problem is I am really a throw and go kind of cook so putting the recipe on paper is quite challenging......however, I will do my best.

Many years ago we had a charming English tea sandwich place that served the most amazing chicken and arugula sandwich with a shallot vinaigarette that was to die for...unfortunately, they closed up shop before I could get the recipe sooooooo, after many attempts, I think I finally nailed it...well at least my sister thinks so.....


Chicken & Arugula Sandwich
w/Shallot Vinaigrette

For the shallot vinaigrette:
½ C extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, minced
½ C. red wine vinegar
¼ C. Sherry wine vinegar
2 t. Dijon mustard
fresh coarse-ground pepper
dash kosher salt

Take 2 T. of the oil and place in skillet with the minced shallots. Sauté over low heat until slightly caramelized. Remove from pan into a blender, being sure to scrape the skillet well. Don’t rinse skillet and keep handy. Add the vinegars and Dijon mustard, pepper and salt to the blender. Put lid on and blend until frothy. With blender still running, add olive oil in a slow stream. Blend until well emulsified. Set aside.

For the chicken sandwiches:
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
¼ C. extra-virgin olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
pinch kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

1 bunch arugula, washed, dried and stems removed

4 - 4” French baguettes, split length-wise , brushed with EVOO and toasted

Put first five ingredients into a zip-loc bag. Try to marinate at least an hour. Heat grill to medium high and grill chicken until done, about 12 minutes on each side. Remove, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, slice breasts on an angle, against the grain, in about ¼” slices. Get skillet you sautéed shallots in. Cover the bottom with 4 T. of the shallot vinaigrette. Heat skillet to warm and toss in arugula. Only heat until arugula is coated w/vinaigrette and just warm. Divide arugula into 4 portions and spread on the 4 baguettes. Pour 4 T. sherry vinaigrette into skillet again and add the chicken slices and heat through, tossing to coat the slices. Put chicken slices on the baguettes. Drizzle shallot vinaigrette over the chicken. Close sandwich, cut in half and serve!

*******

Inspired by the English tea place, my BFF Ann and I decided this would be a perfect theme for a baby shower we catered. We made several types of tea sandwiches....let me tell you it's not just cucumbers on white bread with a schmere of butter, Oh my, we worked our butts off...we had a selection of 6 different tiny sandwiches and, of course a "Tea" would not be complete with out a scone or two! Much to my dismay, I was in charge of making and baking one type of scone.
Now, normally the perfect scone is a lightly sweetened fluffy biscuit...mine were more like hockey pucks... they were so bad, I ended up hurling them into our backyard woods.

The rest of the
tea shower was a big hit and fun was had by all. The next day as I sipped my tea, I looked out the kitchen window and discovered a dead raccoon in the yard...I think my scones played a major role in his meeting his maker...


*******
ttfn
*
jules

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Such good memories.......well at least for me. Don't know about that racoon.

abb said...

Uhhh.....the above anonymous person would be me, annbb, aka tombstone annie...........

Mental P Mama said...

I'm coming over for a sanwich. Do you have enough wine?

Mental P Mama said...

Sandwich. Gah, my mental pausing is making me crazy.

Anonymous said...

You're a woman of many talents...who knew? (Catering...wow!)

Anonymous said...

Good god I am starving!!!!!!!!!!! Send me a bottle of that dressing!!